Sunday 20 July 2014

The New Neutral








The day after my birthday I went shopping with a best friend of mine and decided to take her into H&M for her first time. It was like I was reliving the experience all over again (see Natalie Tran’s video here for an entertaining take on this). Bearing in mind I had just received money for my birthday and was advised to ‘pick out something nice’ for myself, when I spotted this handbag on the rack there was no thought process that went through my mind. I wanted it and I was going to get it! It took me a good five minutes to decide which out of the three were there that I wanted; each one seemed to have a little mark or imperfection. When I brought it home and placed it on the dining table, I decided it was a very good purchase. It fits well amongst my fairly small collection of designer-esque, arm wielding, power bags that make me feel like a woman actually in a career in fashion. What immediately attracted me to this bag was the colour. It is almost a dusty blue with a grey undertone. I’ve chosen to deem this as the new neutral; it’s a modern take on the traditional beige, white or grey tone of neutral. This blue is not quite a bright colour as such, I would describe it more as a subdued shade of blue. As I think of it, this blue would work with many outfits. As us Melbournians are feeling the chills of mid July winter, the all-black uniforms are really taking over the city. Paired with a black coat, heeled boots or even a burgundy toned jumper this bag will add a little interest to what would have been a very standard outfit. Shades of red, plum, grey, camel and even pastel pink would pair nicely with this bag. If this contemporary neutral is not your style, it does come in classic beige. But why be boring and predictable? Fashion is probably one of the easiest outlets to try new things, so why not give a blue handbag a go. Who knows, maybe next time I’ll be writing about a Miley Cyrus inspired outfit...or lack thereof. 

H&M- $59.95

No comments:

Post a Comment